MEP Project Superintendent
The MEP Project Superintendent ensures that all contracted work is developed, implemented, installed and managed in accordance with the Company’s requirements, including but not limited to, safety, quality, management and performance requirements. All aspects of the assigned project must be carried out as efficiently as possible with respect to leadership, materials management, financial management, customer care, and customer delivery goals. Responsible for field activities associated with the project, including supervision of all field construction work by electrical and mechanical subcontractors and self-performed work. Keep in constant contact with Subcontractors to ensure timely work to keep project on time / within budget. Shares responsibility with the construction project manager for developing the project budget, actively participating in the preconstruction phase, and ensuring that the project is built on time, within budget, and according to company policies and procedures. Manages and mentors assistant project managers and other field personnel. Maintains a relentless focus on meeting and exceeding customer needs and expectations through the life of the project
- Plan, lead and/or craft activities includes determining method of construction, manpower levels, material quantities equipment, temporary power sources, work schedule and documenting actual hours worked.
- Coordinate assigned work with work of different crafts, company departments, or other contractors.
- Maintain liaison with engineering, estimating, and planning to ensure work complies with drawings, specifications, and schedule.
- Assist in resolving construction problems (lack of productivity, work interfaces, etc.) as required.
- Assist Labor Relations Department in maintaining communications with unions, resolving jurisdictional disputes, requisitioning required manpower, etc., as necessary and applicable to the labor approach for the projects assigned.
- Monitor craft compliance with project safety program requirements; document and ensure corrective measures are implemented.
- Maintain liaison with other departments (i.e., Material Control, Purchasing, Quality Control, Engineering) to ensure all required materials, equipment, inspections, etc., support craft activities and project schedule.
- Review Contract Documents, make suggestions to improve the documents as they relate to the MEP scopes of work
- Manage and lead MEP subcontractors throughout the duration of the project (from Groundbreaking through Commissioning and Turnover to Owner)
- Assist Scheduling department with developing detailed CPM schedules for all MEP installation activities, including cost and resource loading
- Develop a MEP Schedule of Values and assist in the billing process
- Review and approve material and equipment for MEP systems prior to installation
- Monitor the installation and startup of MEP systems and commissioning of the project with the Engineer & Owner
- Coordinate activities, materials procurement and other related activities with Project Manager and Field Staff
- Communicate progress and prepare appropriate reports as needed by Project Manager, Project Director, Owner’s Rep, Architect, etc.
- Represent the client in regard to the MEP process at weekly Owner’s meetings
- Supervise, develop and mentor MEP Project Engineers, if applicable
- Lead and direct the 3-D coordination process to resolve installation conflicts prior to start of work
- Take overall responsibility for the scheduling and performance of all MEP trades
- Supervise review and coordination of submittals and shop drawings
We are looking for a flexible, detail-oriented team player with the ability to manage multiple tasks, produce quality work, and consistently meet deadlines. The successful candidate will possess:
- Excellent listening skills and strong communication skills.
- Extensive Mechanical and Electrical construction experience.
- 4 year engineering degree or equivalent combinations of technical training and/or experience.
- 10+ years supervisory experience leading large facility or industrial construction with at least 5 yrs on major projects.
- Excellent communication skills and be able to communicate well with Owners and Architects.
- Advanced knowledge of the technology, methods, equipment, tools and work procedures required.
- Advanced understanding of construction scheduling, cost control and demonstrated ability to control and supervise large groups.
- A strong work ethic and a “can-do” attitude.