Data Center Operations Manager
Salute Mission Critical is a global data center services provider delivering critical facility management to hyperscale, colocation, and edge leaders in over 102 countries. Salute is mandated to manage its customer’s data centers in Montreal. This role will be responsible for the smooth operation of both Montreal data center sites by interacting with the customer’s onsite teams, any third-party vendors and by managing the Salute operations team that is comprised of multi-skilled and data center operators that support the day-to-day monitoring of the facility equipment.
The Data Center Operations Manager is responsible for ensuring that all electrical, mechanical, and fire/life safety equipment within the data centers is operating at peak efficiency. This includes the oversight of the planned preventative maintenances of equipment, the daily corrective work as well as the emergency response to emergent issues. They are expected to be a singular focal point for all facility operations within the data center environment supports mission-critical servers to maintain better than 99.999% uptime. This equipment includes, but is not limited to, standby diesel generators, switchgear, UPSs, PDUs, AHUs, chillers, cooling towers, chemical treatment systems, pumps, motors, VFDs, and building automation systems.
To excel in this role you will need experience in data center facilities operations and an understanding of HVAC, electrical, large chillers, diesel generators, cooling towers, UPS systems, large batteries, and more. You will be interfacing directly with our customer as well as end users (customer’s colocation customers), which requires great communication and presentation skills as well as the ability to effectively resolve problems. You will take full ownership of the sites and operations team and be expected to efficiently introduce change in light of continuous operational improvement. It will be important to take a customer-centric approach, building a sense of collaborative partnership, and offering guidance and coaching to your team.
If you’re currently looking for a new challenge in the datacenter space, consider –
- Stepping into a role with an internationally recognized leader in the Mission Critical market
- Working with an employer who maintains a corporate philosophy to hire only the best
- Who invests in and are unilaterally committed to continuing the enrichment of their employees
- Empowering a culture of safety, security, compliance, and transparency in all aspects of data center activities
- Leading and managing a team of high-performing individual contributors at a data center site and their ongoing talent development
- Financial administration of site activities and staff members, tracking budgets, payments, and pay cycles
- Managing and overseeing datacenter site services, resources, and deployment across the 2 data centers for the client in Montreal
- Collaborating and coordinating with multiple internal business groups to ensure the successful delivery of service levels
- Analyzing production operations and initiate corrective actions to ensure operational stability
- Initiate and establish quality standards for the Datacenter teams and manage those initiatives through to completion
- Learn, live, and coach the Salute culture and values. Lead through change and challenge by bringing clarity, generating energy, and delivering success
- Operate, monitor, maintain, and respond to abnormal conditions in facilities systems
- Oversee planned and ad-hoc preventive maintenance work assignments requiring the skill and direction of several engineering, mechanical, and maintenance trades
- Conduct periodic inspections of building systems, i.e., HVAC, electrical distribution, maintain mechanical equipment rooms to ensure clean and safe conditions
- Rapid response, investigation, and management of indoor emergency situations and air quality complaints
- Have a complete working knowledge of creating, closing, and tracking “work requests” (WR). Initiate or respond to work orders, follow-up, and verify completion of work
- Monitor performance/note deficiencies of service contractors and recommend changes as necessary
- Managing the workload across all shifts and resources, ensuring a balanced approach to work activity, tasks, and the accomplishment of results and outcomes.
- In collaboration with the Human Resources manager, performing the functions and planning regarding shift cycles, people and resource deployment, payment, salaries, and other related staff activities, as they may arise
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned by management
Additional responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Manage multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Estimate cost of client installations
- Analyze and interpret complex project documents such as AutoCAD and Visio
- Analyze and propose solutions with limited information
- Interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Advanced analytical and quantitative skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills to effectively respond to sensitive and complex issues
- The ability to create effective presentations and communicate with both internal and external customers
- A demonstrated commitment to customer service for both coworkers and customers
- Experience developing operating and maintenance standards and project tracking/management documents
- Knowledge of applicable laws and ordinances in performing data, communications, and MEP projects
- The skill to provide oversight to team members for guidance and coaching
- Experience working well under pressure with a proactive approach
- Excellent attention to detail, strong organizational skills, and a willingness to accept new ideas and procedures
- Experience using Microsoft office tools like Excel, PowerPoint, and Word to create presentations and reports
- Enhance existing skill sets
- Direct operations, technical and engineering personnel to ensure established processes and procedures are followed
- Perform, or oversee and manage the periodic audits of maintenance MOPs, equipment SOPs and Emergency Operator Procedures (EOPs) to ensure quality, accuracy, and conformance with company standards and industry best practice
- Perform periodic audits of site Change Management activity, to ensure accuracy of information and quality of supporting documentation
- Collect and report operating metrics for sites to track and monitor site performance and efficiency
- Coordinate major activities among sites and track major outstanding issues to resolution
- Provide input for and drive the development of client improvement solutions to include accurate descriptions, savings potential, and cost estimates
- Develop operating standards, processes, and procedures, rules and regulations
- Review drawings and perform site surveys to identify mechanical, electrical, and control systems and facility operational characteristics
- Manage relationships with customers, property management and internal teams, and external stakeholders, where applicable and required.
- A minimum of 5+ years of directly related experience in the management, operation, installation, and maintenance of data center critical equipment, building systems with in-depth technical understanding and knowledge of all HVAC, electrical, plumbing, fire/life safety, and control systems
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and two+ years’ experience in electrical systems, refrigeration, and/or HVAC. Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of the electrical and mechanical systems used in a data center environment, including Feeders, Transformers, Generators, Switchgear, UPS systems, ATS/STS units, PDU/PMM units, Chillers, Air handling units, and CRAC units.
- Good observation skills and problem-solving ability.
The role is a full-time position and is based in Montreal, Quebec. The salary for this role will be commensurate with experience but is expected to be highly competitive. The opportunity will service regional clients and will include business travel as needed to meet business demands.
If you have what it takes to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, our organization encourages you to apply, and we welcome the opportunity to provide more detail and explore your current situation and interests.
Advantageous: Military experience
Job Type: Full-time