Data Center Infrastructure Technician
This individual will be responsible for the day-to-day activities that support data center operations and support of IT systems, network services, business-critical processes, and procedures that support the delivery of customer products and services. The ideal candidate is a strongly motivated, self-starter who conducts themselves professionally and works under minimal supervision. The ideal candidate will possess:
- Experience from stacking and racking of servers to battery/power and structured cabling.
- Ability to work on multiple concurrent projects while meeting deadlines and ensuring uptime
- A penchant for leading projects and has the ability to work autonomously under the customer’s direction, written or verbal, on servers/routers/switches.
The Infrastructure Technician is trained to work on all posts at the assigned site location and is available to work all shifts
- Perform simple measuring tasks, such as reading a tape measure, using a level and a square to ensure that installed framing, equipment racks, and superstructure are straight, level, and square.
- Under direction, be able to install superstructure, cable rack, fiber optics raceway, and equipment racks or cabinets.
- Understand the universal telecommunications wiring color code, and be able to identify each wire or fiber accordingly.
- Be able to correctly terminate data, switch, coaxial, and fiber optic cabling.
- Identify cabling and fibers by type, wire size, number of leads, and usage.
- Understand minimum bend radius of power, switch, data, and coaxial cabling, as well as fiber optic cabling or jumpers.
- Properly run cabling in either a subfloor environment or an overhead cable rack environment.
- Properly dress and secure cabling and fiber cabling using lacing cord or Velcro strips, and properly label them.
- Maintain awareness of surroundings; watch for irregular or unusual conditions
- Observe departing personnel and ensures that authorized removal of property is conducted within appropriate client requirements
- Contribute to communication and awareness of site policies and issues as needed
- Permit authorized persons to enter property and monitors entrances and exits; control/direct traffic
- Install all racks and enclosures for equipment
- Prepare all equipment to be installed in racks and other enclosures
- Update cable the management system as changes are made to the data center cable plant
- Update asset management system as the equipment is added and removed from the Datacenter
- Execute tasks for each project and work with all teams to meet project timelines
- Provide status to team members and management on the completion of all tasks
- Provide all information to assist with Data Center capacity planning for space, power, data communications, and cooling
- Cabling installation within Whitespace (Whitespace fit-out)
- Ability to understand drawing, plans, and specifications
- Ability to follow instructions from Enterprise Infrastructure Engineer within a data center to complete the project in a timely and qualitative manner
- Complete terminations of copper and fiber cabling, moves-adds-and changes (MAC)
- Panel installations, patch cord management, cabinet installation, and proper device connections
- Inside and Outside plant installation in accordance with required TIA standards
- Experience in troubleshooting copper and fiber optic cabling, break-fix as required
- Experience using test equipment to verify results and compliance to standards, with most commonly used industry-standard test equipment, OTDR, etc.
- Understanding of test results and mitigation requirements
- Proper labeling and documentation (TIA 606)
- Basic configuration
- Must be familiar with safety
- Experience with spreadsheets
- Responsible for policing the computer rooms, ensuring they are clean at all times, and does not contain cardboard
- Responsible for reporting hazards and violations of any safety issues to Enterprise Infrastructure Engineer
- 2+ years in Data Centers managing hardware assets
- Demonstrable project management experience with the ability to manage tasks under tight deadlines
- Experience as a data center operations technician working within large heterogeneous environments
- Solid day-to-day experience working in data centers and co-location environments
- Experienced working in fast-paced engineering data center environments
- Experience with a large variety of different vendor hardware such as servers, storage, and network equipment.
- Familiar with the processes of pulling, terminating, and testing copper and fiber network cabling
- Experience in contributing to detailed project plans for programs involving cross-functional teams and challenging requirements
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple projects
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate issue resolution across departmental teams
- Coordinating vendors
- Experience with Asset Management Systems
- Experience in managing the inventory of all cable, power cords, and other infrastructure items.
- Strong sense of methodology, process, and metrics
- Must be able to pass a drug test and criminal background check
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience preferred
- Proven track record of success and delivering results
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills conducive to team development
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Physical work Ability to lift at least 50-70 lbs. on a regular basis, and able to use server lift or pallet jacks
If your professional growth and compensation trajectory is restricted in any way, consider –
- Stepping into a Data Center role with a nationally recognized leader in the Mission Critical market
- Working with an employer who maintains a corporate philosophy to hire only the best
- Who invests in and are unilaterally committed to continuing the enrichment of their employees
If you have what it takes to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment I welcome the opportunity to provide more detail and explore your current situation and interests.
PREFERRED: Military experience
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $23.00 – $27.00 per hour